For the coming year I decided to join 2010 Chunkster Challenge. This challenge runs from February 1st, 2010 to January 31st, 2011. Here are the details from the challenge page:
Definition of a Chunkster: A chunkster is 450 pages or more of ADULT literature (fiction or nonfiction) ... A chunkster should be a challenge.
* If you read large type books your book will need to be 525 pages or more ... The average large type book is 10-15% longer or more so I think that was a fair estimate.
- No Audio books in the chunkster. It just doesn't seem right. Words on paper for this one folks.* No e-Books allowed - we are reading traditional, fat books for this challenge.
- Short Stories and Essay collections will not be counted.
- Books may crossover with other challenges
- Anyone may join. If you don't have a blog, just leave me a comment on this post with your progress (and to let me know you are playing)
- You don't need to list your books ahead of time.
- Once you pick a level, that's it...you're committed to that level!
You must pick a level of participation:
- The Chubby Chunkster - this option is for the reader who has a couple of large tomes on their TBR list, but really doesn't want to commit to much more than that. 3 books is all you need to finish this challenge
- Do These Books Make my Butt Look Big? - this option is for the slightly heavier reader who wants to commit to 4 Chunksters over the next twelve months.
- Mor-book-ly Obese - This is for the truly out of control chunkster. For this level of challenge you must commit to 6 or more chunksters OR three tomes of 750 pages or more. Now doesn't this sound like fun!
After reading the rules for this challenge, I decided to sign up for the Mor-book-ly Obese level. I've got this one covered by the remaining three books from my Russian list. War and Peace alone is 1,455 pages.
Here is a record of my selections:
- The Founding by Cynthia Harrod-Eagles 4**** 539 pp
- Russka by Edward Rutherford 4**** 945 pp
- Sons of Fortune by Jeffrey Archer 2** 534 pp
- The Russian Concubine by Kate Furnivall 5***** 517 pp
- A Cottage by the Sea by Ciji Ware 5***** 528 pp
- The Girl from Junchow by Kate Furnivall 5 ***** 500 pp