1. Title of book: Judge and Jury by James Patterson & Andrew Gross
2. Words to describe the book: thriller, suspense
3. Location or characters you met:
- Andie DeGrasse: single mom and actress who when called for jury duty tries to get out of it but when she appears before the judge she changes her mind and wants to serve. The trial will totally change her life.
- Nick Pellisante: senior FBI agent who knows more about mafia head, Dom Cavello, than any one else in the bureau. He's made Dom his sole focus for the last several years and when events conspire to take away his official standing, Nick takes the law into his own hands and sets out to get some vigilante justice.
- Dom Cavello: one of the most truly evil, amoral characters Patterson has come up with. Dom uses his mafia influence to evade being put away time after time. Even the jurors and judge are afraid of him. Just when Nick thinks this time will be different, Dom has two hired guns commit an unheard of crime that is so heinous it stuns everyone and sets in motion a world wide man hunt.
4. Things you liked/disliked about the book:
- I loved the page-turning non-stop action that kept me on the edge of my seat throughout most of the book
- liked the chilling inside look at mafia eschelons
- the lead and peripheral characters were well fleshed out and believable
- I liked the relationship that developed between Nick and Andie
5. Stars or less for your rating: Because I had a hard time putting this one down, it earns 4 **** from me. A lot of Patterson's recent books feel too formulaic but this one, imho, was one of his better thrillers. It certainly got my attention!Disclosure: A copy of this book was borrowed from the county library system. Thanks to my tax dollars!